Global News | Latest News |
UI moves forward in exploring public-private partnership
The University of Iowa has taken another step forward with its exploration of a partnership with a private firm to maintain and operate its utility system. The UI on July 11 announced it will proceed with a request for proposals in its search for a potential public-private partnership with the utility system, according to a statement. Firms had until 3 p.m. June 14 to submit their request-for-qualification proposals to officials at Wells Fargo, one of three companies consulting the UI during this process. UI Media Relations Director Anne Bassett said in an email the UI will not be able to share the number of vendors or their names until the process is complete. The request for proposals will be released this summer, Bassett said, but there is no set date as of now.
- As part of the request for qualifications process, the UI included that firms must be committed to:
- making sure the UI operates coal-free no later than Jan. 1, 2025
- exploring new sources of boifuels to create sustainable, lower-cost fuel options
- keeping all facilities in similar or better condition
- continuing campuswide sustainability efforts